PALKHI ... VARKARIS ... A WALK OF FAITH........


I always wondered what inspired the Varkaris to take the annual pilgrimage by walk for 22 days every year.. What brings about Three hundred thousand people together every year without being bothered of rain or heat.. I notice that most of the Varkaris are farmers and always thought to myself why would they like to loose 22 days every year in their fields which is so important to them and their families...
  
This year i walked with the Palkhi and with Varkaris for a whole day.. As we reached Dive Ghat i saw a very old man probably in his late sixties, He had a torn plastic bag to his shoulder and had worn a very old clothes. He continuously looked at me and my camera.. So i decided to have a little chat with him as we took a little rest on the roadside rock..

Written below is a conversation between Me and Him..

Me: Baba, can i take a picture of you.
He: Click if you want.
Me: Would you like to see the picture of you that i clicked just now  (as i take my camera screen towards him)..
He: I would love to but i cant.. I have a poor vision and everything around me appears blurry..
Me: with a concern, how you plan to reach Pandharpur with such a blurry vision..you should not have not come for the palkhi..
He: I never miss a "Vari" (annual pilgrimage by walk)..
Me: How will you reach Pandharpur with such poor vision and your old age, and who will take care of you on the way..
He: "Pora Kalji Nako Karu" (Son, don't you worry). 
Me: But.. I think...
He: "Mauli Swataha 22 diwas Varkaryan barobar chalte, ti asel hitech kuthe tari, Mala nehil ti Pandharpur la, tu niwant ghari ja , kalji nako karus" (translation in english means "Lord himself walks with Varkaris for 22 days, He must be somewhere here in the crowd walking, He will take me to Pandharpur safely, You relax and go home and don't worry").

After this incident i came home and was thinking about it for the whole night, and at my office next day.. Then I realised that there is a very simple yet a very powerful answer to all my questions and that is FAITH...


Yes their FAITH in Lord Vithoba Mauli --
Faith in this spritual journey--
Faith in century old tradition of Palkhi..--
Faith that God will take care of them..--
Faith that God walks, Sings and Dance along with them--
Faith that they will undertake the pilgrimage till they are alive--
Faith that lord will bless them and their family with hapiness-- 
and the list may be endless:::


The Varkari tradition has been part of Hindu culture in Maharashtra since the thirteenth-century CE. Varkaris undertake an annual pilgrimage (vari) by walk from Pune to Pandhapur.. (around 225 Kms) They Sing, Dance and Chant praises for their lord Vithoba Mauli on their way.. Two Such Varkaris performing "Fugdi" a traditional folk dance at Dive Ghat as they take a small break from their walk to Pandharpur.




 


  

     

    
 

Comments